Friday, August 03, 2007

Undervalued, Overused Phrases

We use it often in our daily conversations. So often these phrases lose some of their values.

10. Fine..
It's very interesting that "fine" is by far, the most commonly used answer to answer the question "how are you?" But fellow citizens of the world, are you really that fine?

9. You know..
You know .. I always get very irritated .. you know.. when listening to .. you know.. speech or show and .. you knowww.. people use .. you knoww.. very often .. you know..
If you have already know everything, why that conversation must exist in the first place, you know?

8. One of the best.
From now on, when someone tell you that he is one of the best in something, ask him, how many people better than him.. Because he is certainly not the best, otherwise, he will just say that he is the best. Similarly, when someone tell you that he is in the top five, ask him, who are the four persons better than him. If he ranks number 4, he would say that he is in the top four, not top five. Get my point?

7. That's wonderful / perfect / amazing / fantastic!
Some people are just more content than the others. But seriously, do they wonder? Do they really get amazed by that thing?

6. I know that!
Nothing more irritating in conversation than keep hearing the other person says.. I know that!.. Exactly!.. That's my point!.. That's what I am going to say!... Hey, Mr. Know-Everything, even if you know that, please shut up and save my embarrassment!

5. I don't care..
Do you really that ignorant? Last time when we (3 girls and 2 guys including me) gossiped about Paris Hilton's jailing, that guy said, "I don't care..". However, I found out later that he surfed about that in the Internet. Come on, we, humans, are basically curious. When we say that we don't care, deep inside our heart, we actually care. Is it true that you don't care how your ex is doing if the fact is, you keep reading her or his blog?

4. To tell you the truth / To be honest with you.
Oh, I know now... So far you have been lying to me!!! The entire conversation is totally a lie, only the last sentence is a truth.

3. I am sorry..
You are so sorry meh?

2. Wish you all the best!
This is among the favourites of birthday or new year greetings.. Do we really wish them the best? I know some people really mean that sentence, but most of them don't.. including me sometimes.

1. Thank you so much..
If there is a phrase, although undervalued these days, but is nice to hear, without doubt I will say "thank you so much." But if you want to make a more touching sentence, try some of its variations like "I really appreciate what you have done to me", "You make my day", "What a kind heart you have", "I am really grateful for that." or the lame "thankssss a million (billion, zillion)"

Note : the writer also sometimes uses those phrases, except phrase number 4, 6, and 9 :P

No comments: