Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Never ever promise something you can't deliver

I am a great believer that one must deliver their promise no matter what.. I can get very frustrated when someone like to talk big but deliver much less than his talk. That gives me trouble in some commitees which I am inside.

Last year, after seeing my bright achievements in business manager ares, a chairperson of one commitee decided to recruit me as his business manager. When other people have to compete with each other to get one position, I didn't even need to go for interview for that. Not fair? Maybe, but I believe results speak louder than anything.

At that time, I had already joined several other commitees, meaning, I was really very busy. However, after listening to his promise of what I can get if I join that commitee, I was somehow interested (I prefer not to disclose what his promises are, bcoz if I disclose those, it will be very obvious which commitee I was in). However, after several months, I saw nothing. I felt that I was in that commitee to get sponsorships. Hey, there's no free lunch in this world. If you wish me to get necessary funding for your commitee, you have to make sure that I get something from it. If I don't get what I want, forget about what you want. Even charity organizations promise something to the giver, a good feeling by helping the needy. I don't even get that good feeling in my commitee, so what's the reason for me to stay?

And finally I quitted that commitee. I told him very frankly that I was very dissapointed. OK, actually I can just say that I am very busy or such, a common reason people give when they quit a commitee. BUT Let the truth be the truth. I am dissapointed with the commitee' inefficiencies, and unability to deliver promises.

I won't bother to stay in a commitee I don't like, and working under a chairperson I don't respect. My time is too precious for that. Sorry for being arrogant, but that's true. I have raised over $80,000 for NTU. I have raised over $120,000 for my company and sell more product than anyone else in my first try in Sales line. If I am able to raise $2000 for that commitee (which is not difficult at all for me), I have already over-delivered. But I don't want. I fed up, and I decided to quit. Oh, btw, at least I get one lesson from that commitee. Never ever over-promise and under-deliver. People won't forgive you for that, at least for me.

No comments: