Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Art of Negotiation, My Way! :D

In life, the people who often get the best things are not always the smartest or the most hardworking ones. Very often, the best things in life are reserved for people who dare to negotiate, the correct way.

I just come back from playing badminton. The courts are first-come-first-serve basis. When I went there, the courts have already been occupied.

However, I decided not to cancel the badminton session. I waited there for about 1 hour. However, the players who were playing at the courts keep calling more and more people to join them, and that means, I stand very little chance to play, even if I waited until 12 at night. I have always been good at dealing with people, be it bargaining price or asking for extension of assignment's deadline. Why not using the same technique to ask for badminton court?

Negotiation part I
First, I asked them, because I have been waiting for 1 hour, is it possible to share the court? Btw, I came earlier than them, but just because they are friends of the players who played before, so they think they can just use the court. They are absolutely right. But I don't care, I want to play badminton.
They don't mind sharing the court, so here we are, having half the court.
Lesson learnt: You very seldom get exactly what you want, so start small first.

Negotiation part II
Sometime after all the players who came before me went back, I decided to do Negotiation part II, of course, my way.
This is how the conversation going on.

I : Hey, nice game man! You are very good players! (First, make other parties feel that you are friendly. They will be more open to you.)

They : You too! (Hmm... good sign. Praising back is one of the signs that they start to like me.)

I : Btw, my friends keep coming, so many people now.. (Make them feel uneasy.)

They : Oh.. (They tried to give me sympathy. You are so sweet, thanks. But I don't need your sympathy, I need the badminton court.)

I : Where are your friends who come before me just now? I don't see them anymore... (make them feel guilty, and start to build my standing)

They: They go back already. (They started to feel bad)

I : Hey, that means, I and all my friends came earlier than you, am I correct? (I can just stating the statement, but i need them to approve my argument.)

They : Yes.

I : So, is it possible to have the court. My friends are waiting to play. More than 10 of them.. By the way, I really enjoy playing with you. Thank you very much. (I can just wait for their statements first before stating the "I really enjoy" sentence. But I don't want them to argue. I want to be the person with authority. I want them to do what I say, full stop.)

They : Yes.

I : Thank you very much once again. Hope catching up with you again next time (I make them feel good at the end and in the same time, I replaced their badminton net with my net, means, the court is mine already.)

I know, the blend of my charisma and my choice of words, is indeed, irresistible. I have demonstrated my negotiation skill at a lot of different occasions. Btw, last week, I managed to get a table with 6 chairs when initially, we can't get any table in a seafood restaurant. How did I do that? Post a comment or send me a message :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How? ;p