Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I got my handphone-casing exchanged!

Yesterday I bought a casing for my phone. It took me less than 1 minute to buy (I am always proud to be extremely efficient in shopping). But then, my stupid mistake is, I didn't try the casing on the spot. I tried if on the way back home. Then I realized that the casing doesn't fit my phone! I need to use both hands just to type a sms. How uncool is that?
Then today I went to the shop again although I didn't really expect much. I didn't keep the receipt. But, why not give it a try, I thought.
The shop assistant doesn't speak much English, and my Mandarin is definitely not up to standard. Because I am the buyer and buyer is king, I insist of using English. I tried to convince "Hey, look! It doesn't fit! You need to press heavily to get it pressed.!" But she kept saying "Can what??" Then I said "It is extremely difficult to type using this casing.", but she kept saying "Can what??" Finally, after some minutes of debate, she admitted that it really DOESN'T fit. Thank you.
But then when I want it to be exchanged, she said "cannot change!" I was absolutely irritated. Hey woman, you are really irritating, just like your recycled toilet-paper face (the difference is, yours is not environmentally friendly. It harms me). Why you tried to convince me that your made-in-China handphone casing FITS my phone perfectly (or maybe you think that sms-ing using both hands is sexy?). Why not saying that exchanging goods is not allowed at the first place! It saves my time and yours as well.
Then I tried to tell her "Hey, if I exchange the good because I don't like the model or because It has a bit of imperfection, you can object. BUT this casing doesn't fit my phone! I only using it for less than 1 day and it still looks perfect"
Although I am a Top Sales (read my previous entry), I still can't convince her. She only said simple yet powerful sentence "Can not change."
Well, it's not about 8 dollars. It's about my pride. I approached the shop owner. He didn't speak Mandarin to me, he spoke Hokkien. But I don't care, I told him in English and he insisted of using Hokkien. OK nevermind, I don't need to understand you. I just need my handphone-casing exchanged, thank you. He finally gave up. I got my handphone-casing exchanged! After 20 minutes of debate. So happy, I should celebrate it! =P
Moral of the story : don't give up when someone say "no" to you. Ask for second opinion. Be persistent. Everything is negotiable if you know how to negotiate.

No comments: