Friday, December 21, 2007

This is not a joke. I got a medal, in sports!!

Would you be the star of a weak team or the weakest player of a strong team? Of course, the best of all is to be the star of strongest team; Be Christiano Ronaldo at Manchester United or Kaka at AC Milan. However, if that choice is out, what would you choose?

I used to think being a star in a weak team is always more beneficial, at least it's good for the health condition of my ego.

In my first year of university, I joined badminton trial to enter my hall's badminton team. I stayed at hall 2, which has always been one of the strongest teams of badminton in my university. I failed. I couldn't even get a chance to enter the team, not even as substitute player.

In my second year, I joined badminton trial again, at hall 9. Hall 9 has never win any match in the university, never. I not only could enter the team, I became the star there. However, hall 9, as always, lost the match, a very tight match, probably one of the best fights we could ever give in our history.

In my third year, I joined hall selection again in my current hall, hall 3. Hall 3 is well-known to be the king of sports in NTU. I almost can enter the team if not because of nepotism. There is one person in the team which I am sure I can beat (I dare to bet $1000 I can beat him) . He is there, and I am not. Life is never fair, but that's life.

Still in my third year, I become the captain of Indonesian badminton team in my University. I am not the best player there, maybe only in the top five, but I put together experience in managing people and my leadership skill there, bring dynamism to the team. In International Games, we lost in the semi-final.

I have just come back from Inter-School games, I am inside my school's team. I would have to say very honestly, I am the weakest male player there. Since the announcement that I am inside the team, I had already prepared if I would never play a single match during the entire competition, and I am right. I just come down and become the substitute player, in case one person can't play due to some reason. However, we managed to get bronze.

I never think I am gifted in sports, but finally, I get a medal in badminton, for the first time in my life. If you asked me 5 years ago that I will get a medal in sports, I would probably laugh continuously for days.

I get a medal baby... in sports!!

No comments: