Friday, December 28, 2007

Confession of an Engineering student

I confess, I am in the wrong course.

To be very honest, imagining myself work as engineer is like imagining David Beckham or Christiano Ronaldo working as a mathematician. I am too cute for that profession. Not the right fit.

I score much better (and I do mean the word "much") in subjects like management, human resource, communication, and business subjects. I enjoy those classes much more than I attended my Nanotechnology lecture with a cup of coffee always, and struggling not to sleep during lecture.

However, I understand that in Singapore, people are pretty academic-oriented. When they hire someone, they hire someone who has backgound education in that particular field. For example, when they want to hire a marketing executive, they require someone who has degree in marketing or business studies or such. I can't imagine this conversation when you are trying to sell a product.

Buyer : Tell me a reason why I shoud buy your product.

Seller : Because I have a business degree from NTU, first-class honour somemore!

Buyer : Pretty valid reason. Give me two, sorry, three.


Education qualitifaction can only get you that far. So, I think I have no regret studying Engineering despite whatever job I might take in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nah! engineers are cool! You can always switch profession and at the end of the day, you aim not to be an engineer but more towards the management level. Look at the big players out there... A number of them WERE engineers. LOL.