Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Worst Public Speaking Experience... I was so humiliated!!

During your presentation, if people started to look at the watch, wondering why it's so slow, then you are finished.

I had my worst presentation experience just now. Not entirely my fault, but that's enough to make me eat twice as normal (stress makes you fat.)

I did my slides the night before, until 2 in the morning, then woke up at 8 to rush for class, then everytime i had no class I finished up the slides. 40 over slides. A lot of nice pictures there.

But the problem is.. i don't know how much time i had.. i didn't bother to find out. I thought, OK, I prepare 40 slides, if I have more time I will go through every slides. If I only have a few minutes, I will just scan through it.

I was the second presenter. My friend has 10 slides and he spoke for about 10 minutes. Of course I won't speak for 40 minutes unless I was a full-time lecturer. So I spoke for about 12 minutes, covered 40 over slides.

Halfway through my presentation, my supervisor looked at the door. My friends looked so blank, and I myself can't believe that I was stuck in that super boring presentation delivered by me. If I can dig the floor, maybe I will just dig it and hide there forever.

Then he gave comment... He was lost, the presentation has got no structure, too many slides, too many words, too little verbal explanation. I was like... shit, I ve done the slides for HOURS, I didn't even have proper lunch (only sipped milk and munched bread while doing my slides.).

But I learned very valuable lessons about public speaking:
1. Know your audience. What they have already known and what they want to know.
2. Know how much time you will be having. 10 minutes or 20 or 40.
3. Don't cover too many things. The audiences won't understand. Or they won't bother to know either.

Some most important lessons in life are learned in very painful ways. For me, If I can learn those lessons, I don't mind taking the pain.

No comments: