Sunday, May 06, 2007

It's about choosing friends

People often asked me in the past, what makes me always stand on my life values (integrity, honesty, friendliness, and respect to other people)?

My answer is simple. Surround yourself with good people and rest assured you'll stay good.

And that explains why I am very selective when it comes to choose my friends.

I am lucky I have the best parents who taught me all the necessary stuffs required for life since we were very young. I am lucky I went to the best schools who, not only prepared me academically, but also psychologically and spiritually. I am lucky that during twenty-one years of my life, I am surrounded by good friends. I understand I am indeed very lucky.

When it comes to choosing my friend, I only believe one rule of thumb, "If I only have this particular person as my only friend for the rest of my life, what will my life become?"

Will it become very rewarding? or it turns to be messier? Will my life values stand? or will they be shaded away? Will I go closer to my ultimate dream in life? Or will I think that my dream is merely a dream and I should forget about it and get a life?

Along the way, you will find out that some of your friends just can't fit into you anymore, and it's time for you to either make a distance, or say goodbye altogether. You are the one who experience the friendship, so you should be the one who is able to judge it.

It's not selfish, it's just being smart. You will realize that everyday, you will resemble group you spend most of your time with. And as I said in the beginning, the only way to stay good is by surrounding yourself with good people, and for me, staying good is very important. I believe you also think so.

Don't destroy yourself just because you mix with the wrong people. I learn it the hard way, so I understand that principle very well.

1 comment:

M.Amanda said...

That is very wise. I, too, found out how true it is the hard way.

A few years back, actually when I was around your age, a woman confronted me over my unwillingness to pursue a friendship between the two of us. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but in the end I had to tell her that she just didn't meet my standards for a friend. She spent a lot of time speaking badly of others and generally wasn't a very nice person.

I'd like to think that being around me would have made her a nicer person, but experience tells me that I would probably have begun acting just as badly as she. I didn't like her for that behavior, so how could I like myself if I began acting the same?

I'd rather have one less bad friend and respect myself.

PS, did you realize you posted this at 11:11? I've heard that those numbers represent a certain kind of enlightenment....