Saturday, March 22, 2008

Good Friday Reflection


For the Indonesian version, please click here

Today, we Christians celebrate Good Friday, a day when Jesus died on the cross. Everytime I reflect on the scriptures, I am reminded that I am indeed very lucky. Jesus died because of our sins, so we sinners can be saved.

Sometimes I commit sin; so often that I am too ashamed to face God. I am afraid that God will be too angry with me and He will not forgive my sin. I am not saying that God is alright with our sins. He is angry, and disappointed if we, His children commit sin, no matter how small it is. However, He asked us to CONFESS our sins honestly (why must we lie, He knows every single detail of them). And He wants us to move on, and don't sin anymore. No matter how terrible our sin is, He will forgive us.

If you're not convinced with that, you can look at Luke 23:43. When two criminals who have sinned A LOT were crucified together with sinless Jesus, one of the criminals said to his friend who mocked Jesus "we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong." and said to Jesus "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom."

Do you know what Jesus said to him? He said "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."

I have encountered that sentence so many times before, but that saying by Jesus never fails to amaze me. Jesus never said to the repenting criminal "Hmm... I think you have repented. BUT too bad!! You have done too much sins, so I can't help you." or "Well, you maybe go to heaven, but I am not very sure." Instead, He ASSURES the criminal that he will be going to paradise with Him.

God bless you all!

Note: this writing is the author's understanding of the bible passage. Because the author does not have any theology background, he might slightly misinterpret the passage. If you understand the bible better than him, please feel free to correct or comment it. Thanks.

No comments: