Friday, January 04, 2008

Why am I Catholic.... and will always be?

You're a roman catholic but why do u attend city harvest? have you heard of
their brand of gospel that they preach? the prosperity gospel is blatantly
heretical. You can do a search in google on it. You say the expensive decor and
lights at orchard rd do not reflect the true xmas spirit. do u have any idea how
extravagant and materialistic megachurches like city harvest are? I dont even
want to begin on this. you can also do a research on it. I too am roman catholic
and pray u do not get sucked in by their constant extremity in evangelisation.
Stay with the traditional church and stay away from the superficial.



That is a comment made by Jarvis, someone who happened to visit my blog. Thank you very much for the comment.

My comment :

Firstly, I am not against expensive decorations at Orchard Road or such cliche celebration, I only feel a bit sad that the true meaning of Christmas somehow get lost. I think Christmas is a perfect day for us to reflect that we are indeed, very lucky. God send His only son to this world to be our saviour.

By the way, I only attended City Harvest Church (CHC) a few times, and I felt they did fantastic job. They had fantastic Christmas party and I believed a lot of people were blessed by attending the party.

I am a Roman Catholic and I pray constantly everyday that I will still be Catholic until I die (and I also pray that my parents can be Catholic one day). My church is a simple church near my campus. Despite those "boring" songs, and even "more boring" reflection by our priests who speak not-so-perfect English, I feel God's presence there. I can experience God's love and peace there. Something that I can't experience at megachurches like CHC. I mean, not to that extent.

However, people have their own way to praise God. Some people like to sit at quiet place and pray. Some people like to sing and shout. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. I believe God will be able to see through our heart and not merely our mouth.

That's why, I have great respect for my fellow Christian who travel 2 hours to CHC everyweek, and 2 hours back home to NTU (compared to me who only need 20 minutes to reach my church).

God bless you always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Roman Catholic too and I spent my Christmas at CHC, though we do not preach exactly the same thing, we worship Jesus and that is all that matters, whatever nots, I don't really take them seriously.

May God bless you!

Ben said...

Hi Darran,
Can't agree more with you. We are for Jesus afterall :)