Thursday, January 17, 2008

Emotional Marketing

If you read Singapore newspapers daily (be it Straits Times, Today, etc), you will notice that everyday there are more and more advertisements. These are some of the advertisements which appear often:

- Education (be it forex and stock picking seminar, foreign universities which offer MBA and such, or simply motivational talk). The kiasu Singaporeans and people who live in Singapore including me know how important it is to upgrade ourselves (thanks to Government to popularize that term). Even UNSW which is famous for the wrong reason dares to put advertisement again. I applaud their courage. Wow.

- How to lose weight.. 10 kg in 3 months. Yes, that Olinda, 2nd runner-up of Singapore Idol. I am wondering why Osim picks Fiona Xie to be its spokesperson. I have never seen Fiona Xie to be fat, anyone? And after Moses Lim consumed Xando, I don't see him getting slimmer. If you want to be slim, don't consume slimming pills, ask Xiaxue... how to use photoshop perfectly.

- How to stay young and have better face complexion. Nugeno is the front runner. I admit that Nugeno product works. I am the living proof.


Hermawan Kartajaya in his book, Marketing in Venus said, with hundreds or thousands similar products in the market, we just don't have time to compare everything. Last time, we bought something because it's good, or cheaper. But now, who the heck know the difference between Nivea, Nugeno, Neutrogena, Biore, Follow Me, Loreal, just to name a few. We just don't know, and if you like me, we don't care. We are getting more and more emotional. If I can summarize the reason we buy something, it's to make us feel good. I am a man, straight (yes, I am single and happy, but I am not gay.). However, I buy Nugeno face lift cream because I envy Pierre Png who looks like in his 26 when he is almost 40. Btw, I am almost 22, and people always guess I am 16 or 18.

And look at job advertisements. Same job, similar pay. I subscribe to Jobscentral daily job updates. Today I received 18 new job postings, some are from insurance company, some are from big MNCs. Guess which advertisement I opened first? The one from First Meta Pte Ltd (I need to google it first)

You’ll learn more here in a year that you would 5 years at a
corporate job.And of course, you’ll be doing something that would change the
world. (I’ll explain why if you buy me coffee.)If all these sound
exciting to you, send your resume to jointheteam@firstmeta.com
Tell us in not more than 3 sentences how you’re exceptional.

They dare to be different. So what if you are a start-up and you are fighting against big players whose waiting room is larger than your entire office? This world favours the brave. When other people send their particulars to those tuition agency and hope they will call (and never get tuition assignment), I called the language center (they didn't even advertise that they need tutor). I asked them "How to apply as bahasa Indonesia tutor?" And I got tuition assignment, 4 days after that.

As conclusion, in marketing, we need to be extraordinary. We can be extraordinarily good, or extraordinarily funny, or extraordinarily disgusting (people are disgusted with Steven Lim, but who disagree with me that he is at least more famous than half the ministers). When a marketing message is ordinary, it is out. We already have textbooks to cure our insomnia.
When everyone says "We sell the best pizza in the world" (who believes that, seriously!), I bet a pizza stall in Australia who writes "We sell the worst pizza in town" will get more sales... or at least it attracts more eyes.

No comments: