Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Hi, My name is Ben, I work for UOB Bank."

Welcome on Board!

Yes, I finally signed a full-time job contract, the first time in my life.

That means.. I officially turned down offers made by:

- Another local bank (Hint: 3 letters, starts with D, ends with S :)) under their Management Associate Programme
- A MNC which has slogan "We Challenge You to Shape Our World"
- A less well-known MNC which is a subsidiary of Tata Group
- The biggest bank in Malaysia (this one is not yet an offer, I am still in the last round of interview process)

I refuse to admit that I am greedy. That's the way the job market operates. Companies choose the best candidates, and we choose the best offer, it's as simple as that.

The million-dollar question is.. "What does UOB Bank have something to do with Mechanical Engineering?"

Eh... hmm... You knowww.. lemme think.

To be frank, I don't know. Even for a person who can compose highly-persuasive sentences (a.k.a "bullshit") to get A+ for Engineers & Society subject, I find difficulty giving a good answer.

Maybe the best explanation I could ever give: Some things in life are better left unexplained :)

However, this is what I know. We only live once, and we ought to do something that we enjoy doing. I have realized long time ago that Engineering is not my cup of green tea, and doing engineering job for the rest of my life is like asking David Beckham to be a programmer.



Maybe I will make a reasonably good engineer armed with good education from World-class university. However, I believe that if we want to excel, we ought to do what we LOVE doing, not something that we don't mind doing.

Why choose UOB?

1. It's less bureaucratic than some other banks

While another bank needed 2 weeks just to tell me the next step of the recruitment process, UOB needed a total of SEVEN days from application to giving me a job offer. I took assessment test on Thursday, and the next day, they offered me the job. Tell me, which candidate doesn't like to be treated that way? In this fierce talent-market, I don't think any company could afford to ask a candidate to wait too long unless the job you offer is to be Maria Sharapova's boyfriend.


2. It offers partially commission-based scheme

I know myself too well, that I am motivated with by numbers, figures, targets. It just doesn't make sense for me to do a job which pays me a fixed salary every month no matter how well or how lousy the quality of my work is. With partially commission-based scheme, the sky is the limit.

No boring job.


3. Their HR people are beautiful

Enough said :)

4. I believe in their products

Since the very first day I sold UOB products as part-time job (when I managed to sell a total of $130,000 in sales volume), I know that THIS is the company I would love to work at for the rest of my life.

I couldn't wait for the day when I introduce myself in a social or business function...

"Hi, My name is Ben, and I work for UOB Bank. It's great to meet you."

Yes! UOB Bank, a company that from now on I can proudly call: MY company.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gratz
im an engineer to be soon
i wonder if i can make the switch