Saturday, November 10, 2007

What's wrong with my native language??

Since I came to Singapore 3 ½ years ago, I started to use English much more often compared to my native language, Indonesian.

I converse in English at least 80% of the time. I started to think in English about 2 years ago. Now, I don’t need to “translate” sentences from my native language to English, something that beginners usually do. My bible is in English, I write all my appointment in English, and I write my blog in English as you know.

That’s why, I can say, the way I speak English is more natural than the way I speak in my native language. I can do impromptu speech in English, but if you ask me to give speech in Bahasa Indonesia “baku” (proper Indonesian), I can’t do that anymore, at least not for formal setting. I started to find difficulties finding Indonesian words. For example, last time I wanted to tell my Indonesian friend about the word “unemployment.” I forgot what “unemployment” in Indonesian... Until a few minutes later, I could recall that word. “Pengangguran”! Oh my Gosh.

Then if I wake up late or I am late for appointment, I will say “Oh my goodness” or “sh*t” or “d*mn”. Indonesians usually swear by using the expression “Mati!” (“Die” in English), or “sialan.” (I can’t find the vivid translation for this.) I will say the English expression even if I just wake up, which proves the point that I actually think in English and I can say that English is my first language, although it’s not my mother tongue.

Then today my roommate said “thank you” to me, I replied him by “Nggak masalah.” (no problem in English). Then I started to feel strange. Oh my goodness, what’s wrong with my Indonesian?

Correct me if I am wrong. I think Indonesians never reply a thank you by “No problem” right? They usually reply “sama-sama” (same-same in English, joking lah, it’s something like “you too”). My Indonesian friends, am I correct?

I think language is just another skill, the more you practise it, the better you are. When you don’t use it often, your skill will start to deteriorate. That is exactly what happens with my native language. I won public speaking and writing competitions in both Indonesian and English in the past, so my Indonesian couldn’t be that bad right? Maybe I should start to read Indonesian poem and high quality fiction again, something that I used to be very good at.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a matter of how you're used to it lah.. Well I've met many people who have lived here for 9 years or so but haven't lost their Indonesian. Although, of course, they sometimes prefer English.

For me, I always switch. The Indonesian I use in Singapore and Indonesia is different. And to different people, different styles too.

eStee said...

Hi Ben: Thanks for your comments on my post. I really appreciate it, especially from someone I don't know.

Visit soon and good luck for your coming exams :)

Theresia said...

It's time for me to watch Cantonese Drama and speaking Chinese to brush up my Chinese. No wonder, I have forgotten most of the idioms that I learnt last time. ANyway it's opposite of me, at least, now I understand most of Indonesian 'bahasa pasar' (I dunno how to call bahasa pasar in Indonesian)