Friday, July 18, 2008

MIRACLES!!!!!!!!!

Well, I hate to admit this... but if I have to mention one out of my weaknesses, that would be... I am a very last-minute person. I am in the process to improve on this though.

Since I got a job contract from UOB Bank which is dated 21 June 2008 until now, there are more than 20 days in between. I know I should apply for temporary work permit and subsequently SPR (Singapore Permanent Resident) status. Blame everything to my excellent expertise in procrastinating, I only apply today, which is by the way, 3 days just before my work starts.


Terrible right??

Well, I don't deny that.


To make things worse, I had just realized yesterday that... my original birth certificate was not with me. It's 700 miles away from Singapore, all the way in my home city.


I woke up this morning with only 1 thing in mind... well, it's gonna be real challenge today. And I was not disappointed, it really is.

After getting stamp from my company, I headed to ICA to apply for PR. I reached there at 10.15 and got a queue number. For account balance in our bank account, the more digits it has, the better it is. However, for queue number, the opposite is true.

I almost couldn't believe that my queue number is 645!!! All thanks to Singapore government who makes the PR status so desirable.


GOSHHHH!!! IT'S GONNA BE FOREVER!

From 10.15 to lunchtime, they only managed to finish about 75 applicants. If you do the math, they will be serving me on... WEDNESDAY?

I called UOB HR people, and they can't allow me to start to work on Monday if I couldn't manage to get temporary pass done by Monday, and I will be starting my work on 25th August. When I heard that, I felt like I was struck by lightening (Err.. I never experience that, but anyway, that's a good way to express that situation).


I know myself very well that I work very well under pressure, and this is what I thought I will do.

Because I have $100 cash in my wallet, I was going to offer anyone who was willing to give up their queue number for me. I don't care. I must get the work pass by TODAY. I MUST GET IT.

It's amazing too see the power of pressure. It can make us more creative. I know myself too well to understand that I work the best under pressure.



However, It seems that I don't need to use my negotiation skill to get the pass done by today. I don't know how it can happen, but suddenly, the queue number JUMPED from 300 something to 638! IT LITERALLY JUMPED!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes. It's 638, which is just a few away from my queue number which is 645. OH MY GOD. Is it for real??


And the miracle didn't stop there. The officer decided to give me the temporary work pass, but required me to submit the original birth certificate to them in the future.


To cut the long story short (fine, it's not that short), I managed to get the temporary work pass at 5.30 pm today, and I am allowed to start work next Monday.



On the way back home after that thing, I reflected on some things...
1. Well, it's a mistake to do everything very last-minute, but...
2. Maybe, it's God's plan to make me trust Him more.
3. Miracles do happen :)


God is good. Indeed, He is really really good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this got nothing to do with u coping very well under pressure..

you didnt even do anything so stop saying u can cope well under pressure