Sunday, July 13, 2008

Don't just say your name, GIVE OUT YOUR NAME CARDS!!!!!

Well, people like me and millions of other visual thinkers have a problem. We are bad at remembering names, very bad.



So, the usual conversation is like this...

Ben : Hi, my name is Ben.
Andy : Hey, I am Andy
.


20 minutes later, the two visual thinkers meet again.

Ben : We met before right? but I am so sorry, I can't remember your name.
Andy : Don't worry FRANK, sometimes I can't remember people's names also.



See the problem? We are very bad at remembering names. At least I admit that.

So after doing some readings, these are the techniques I found.
SOLUTION 1

Ben : Hi, my name is Ben. What's your name?
Angela : Hi, Angela here...


The following conversations happen only in my brain.

Ben to himself: Angela... Angela... Angela... okay, the girl with short hair, sexy clothes, and 2-cm thick make-up is ANGELA..

This technique is not bad, but the problem is... sometimes I don't introduce myself to only 1 person.

Ben : Hi everyone, my name is Ben.
Angela : Hi, I am Angela.
Peter : Peter.
Roland : Roland here.
Geraldine : Hello, my name is Geraldine. Nice to meet you all.
Mark : Hi, I am Mark.


GOSH!!!!!!!! How am I supposed to remember so many names????


SOLUTION 2

Ben : Hi, I am Ben. You are?
Melissa : Hi, I am Melissa.
Ben : Hi Melissa, nice to meet you.
Melissa : Nice to meet you too.
Ben : By the way, where do you work Melissa?
Melissa : I work at a printing company called PRINTME. I am the sales reps there.
Ben : Cool! I work for UOB Bank, as personal banker.
Melissa : Wow, I applied there also before, but I didn't manage to get it.
Ben : Well Melissa, I think luck plays an important role also. Count myself lucky.

You see the technique? I repeat the name "Melissa" often. That technique is much better than the first technique.

However, nothing works best for a visual thinker like me (and millions of others) than this technique.

SOLUTION 3

Ben : Hi, my name is Benny Pandowo, just call me Ben. What's your name?
Eric : Hi Ben, I am Eric.
Ben : Eric, nice to meet you. This is my business card...
Eric : Oh great, thanks. This is mine.


Ben and Eric look at the name card given for a few seconds.

Ben : Oh, so you are a CFA? I really admire people who is a CFA.
Eric : It's nothing. As long as you work hard enough, you will get it.
Ben : You are too humble, Eric. I think hard work only will not get you that far. By the way, what is your company doing?
Eric : We are a shipping company. Our company handles shipping to almost all parts of the world.
Ben : Great. How is your company doing?
Eric : Well Ben. It does face quite a bit of competition from smaller companies, but I guess, we have loyal customers who only want to do business with us.
Ben : I am so happy to hear that Eric.

That technique is combination between giving a name card and technique number 2. However, I must say, giving name card contributes at least 70% of the success attained... again, at least for me.


You say your name, unless your name is Angelina Jolie or Donald Trump, most of the time I can't remember.

You give your name card, I can remember your name, your company's name, even some not important stuffs like the colour of your name card.


SO.... Moral of the story is... GIVE OUT YOUR NAME CARDS!!! Sixty percent of the world's population will thank you for that.




No comments: