Wednesday, June 20, 2007

More than just Ice Cream. It's a Lifestyle.

Food, just like electronic goods, change from time to time. Some food can be very popular in one particular time and its popularity can decrease in other time (remember "Bubble tea syndrome" in Singapore?). However, if I can name three foods that will always get a comfortable place in society, I will put Coffee, Chocolate, and Ice Cream in my list. You may agree or not, that's only my simple observation.

Some people are smart. They turn food into a lifestyle. For coffee, we have Starbucks and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. They price their coffee insanely high, yet, they never lack of customers. They don't only sell excellent coffee, they sell experience. They sell lifestyle to their customers.


How about Ice Cream? When I heard the word "Ice Cream", no specific brand come out from my mind very fast, not like "Starbucks" when you mention coffee. After I thought about a few seconds, some ice cream brands started to pop-up, like Andersen's Ice Cream, Hagen Das, and Ben & Jerry's.


Ben & Jerry's is interesting. When I visited their shop last time, I was quite shocked with their price. It's $4.50 for a small cup! I couldn't believe it at the first time, but because I had entered their shop, so paiseh to go out and didn't buy anything. OK lah, the taste of the ice-cream is definitely above average (although I can say that it's not as nice as Hagen Das and Singapore's Swensen), but, I was very impressed with their management and their culture.

If you visit their website, you will find quite a lot of interesting facts there. I must give a standing ovation for their good practices and values, for example:
- They use natural ingredients, promote business practices that respect the Earth and the Environment.
- They use only dairy products that are produced by farmers who promise not to treat their cows with genetic treatment.
- They set aside specific percentage of their profit for charity.
- They support "world peace" and "social and environmental conservation"
- They even have Ben & Jerry's foundation.
- They create a culture. In their shop, their wall is full of comments from the customers e.g. "B & J you rocks!", or "Ben & Jerry's, I love you!" What a smart approach. You can tell the whole world that you have the best ice-cream, but having your customers saying it for you is definitely much more effective, and the best part is, it's free!

If you can sell a small cup of ice-cream for $4.50, you can sell almost anything!

Talking about ice-cream, I found a shop sells soya Ice Cream in Singapore, the shop's name is Mr Bean. I have tasted their ice-cream, and I felt that their ice-cream is superb. They price it $1.20 for a cone and $1.50 for a cup. They claim their ice-cream to be low fat, no cholesterol, and high protein. They even dare to put "Nutritional Information" of their ice cream. With only 140 kcal one serving and only about 4 grams of fat, you don't need to be afraid that you turn fat tommorow. Dieters out there, finally, an ice-cream that's very delicious and healthy, a combination made in heaven.

I think selling soya Ice Cream is an excellent business in a health-conscious country like Singapore. Subway always has a long queue during eating time, Foods with "healthier choice" symbol are in high demand, and health talks can always expect full-house. With medical fees increase so high, no wonder, many people are seeking for healthier lifestyle, including healthier foods.


And also, what's happier than receiving a question "Where do you study?" when you are in your 30s? Look at Andy Lau's photos and guys, dare you tell me that you don't envy him? Look like 30-year-old. I tell you, he is 45! So irritating, some people just never grow old!

No comments: